I have been toying with the idea of making a motorised drift trike for sometime and after seeing Colinfurze’s build video I thought it was about time to get about making it a reality.
Between the four bike we got a running Pit Pro which was later sold and two working motors (One from a Pit Pro and one from a quad)
After stripping off the motors and any other useful parts we took the 9″ grinder to the rear end of both quads and removed the rear axle assembly including axle, chain sprocket and rear disc brakes. Having a fully functional rear axle and drive train means a heap less fabrication for us.
The second part we needed to acquire was a front end for the trike which came in the form of a BMX bike which was donated to the cause and promptly met the 9″ grinder.
Some 2″ box tube we had lying around and we were ready to begin seeing how everything will (hopefully) fit together:
From the pictures you can get a rough idea of how it should come together.
After some cutting and welding we have ourselves a rolling frame. Both the BMX head and quad rear end directly welded to the 2″ box tube allowing enough room for motor and chain drive.
Once we were happy with this we set out to create some engine mounts on the 2″ box with slotting to allow chain tension adjustment. After some fiddling to get everything to fit and tension up correctly this is what we ended up with:
At this point rear brakes were bled, clutch cable, accelerator cable and kill switch were all run to the handle bars.
Left side bar has rear brakes and clutch ~90° offset.
Right side bar has start/stop switch, throttle and front brakes (WIP).
A seat mount was welded up and bolted to the top of the motor then a plastic school seat fitted.
A small fuel tank was fitted in the bar forks and then it was time to see how it ran…
During the test I had forgotten to turn the fuel tap on hence it cutting out half way up the road. The carbie has since had a clean out and an exhaust fitted which cleared up a lot of the farting and carrying on that can be seen in the video.
The chase car showed a top speed of around 70km/h during testing. I think it has a fair bit more in it but I’m not sure it needs to go any faster given the stability of trike’s in general….
As many of you will have noticed it’s currently not truly a “Drift” trike given the current tires/wheels on the trike which will be addressed in part two of this. Finding 14″ PVC for a cheap price has proven difficult so different hubs may have to be fitted to allow for smaller wheels allowing for easier procurement of PVC for drifting.
The other things that need finalising include:
- Finishing mounting of exhaust system
- Front brakes
- Electric start (Kick start is in an awful spot under seat)
- 12v battery mount for electric start
- Changing of shifter location. (Currently lean over suicide shifter)
- Finding 14″ PVC or changing of wheel hubs for smaller diameter
- More permanent fuel tank mount
- Maybe a coat of paint