After a session of lifting tin and climbing through the roof to run cables the camera has now made it’s way to it’s new home 🙂
After the cable was run I wired up the POE and Ethernet and found there was too much of a voltage drop over the line to keep the Raspberry Pi running while taking a picture so I changed out the 5v PSU for a 7.5v PSU to bring the line voltage up.
After I did this the Pi booted no worries and shot off a picture.
My eBay case arrived and while not the most subtle case for the job it has more than enough room to house everything.
The Pi was mounted to the plastic board inside with a pair of zip ties and the camera with a good chunk of blue tack. I think I’ll eventually mount the camera better but with the camera board being so small it is a bit of a pain to mount.
And after mounting the case out the front we have success:
I made a few further changes to the software side as well as shown here:
As you can see here upon the door bell being pressed the Pi:
1. Sends a pushover notification via the API
2. Captures two pictures. One low res and one hi res
3. Attaches and emails the low resolution picture
4. Inserts the date and time to a mysql database
5. Copies the hi resolution picture to my NAS
Here you can see the mysql table which simply contains the date and time the door bell was pressed, eventually I will do up a PHP interface to be able to view the data from mysql more easily.
And now onto the next project 🙂