Update 29-3-16

Bit of an update on the current state of projects, things have slowed down a lot during summer as I have been working on a lot more things outside, with the weather cooling down now work on some inside/electronic projects can begin again.

The mysql, weather station and temp sensors have all been working well with now over 300,000 data points giving per minute data points on most for now just shy of twelve months.

Overall database size has grown to around 140mb for the whole set of sensors.

dbsize

The laundry fan has been installed and added to one of the relay boards and both DHT22 sensors have been mounted. One in the laundry and one in the bathroom.

Laundry Fan with DHT22
Laundry Fan with DHT22
Bathroom fan with DHT22
Bathroom fan with DHT22

The RFID system on the front door as also been working flawlessly now for almost 18 months with 1750 entries during that time.

webpage

 

The outdoor sensor array still hasn’t quite made it from it’s temp cardboard home however the final two sensors have arrived

The Sharp GP2Y1010AU0F dust sensor and the ML8511 UV sensor.  So now I can at least finish off the software side on the Arduino and do final testing before finding a case and mounting it outside.

DSC_0214

 

Doorbell camera has also stopped working. Not sure if it’s just a corrupt SD-Card in the Raspberry Pi if it’s gotten a bit too hot over summer and cooked, going to take it down in the next few days and find out.

Another project that has been collecting dust for a while now is a MAME arcade machine I started sometime back. Needs a couple of new joysticks, a tidy up and probably a new PC to drive it as the one in there is a little under powered and generates a lot of heat.

Some cable management would go astray either 😛

DSC_0209

DSC_0220

Lounge 5.1 sound Part 1

After putting up with crappy TV sound for years I finally got around to getting the 5.1 system (mostly) setup.

In order to keep the lounge neat I decided to keep all the AV gear in the rack and just run HDMI over CAT5 which will require me to get a new receiver with HDMI switching eventually. It’s not a huge problem currently as I mostly use just the Raspberry Pi for my media needs.

Top amp is the sub amp and bottom is the current 5.1 receiver which lacks HDMI unfortunately.

av-amps

Let the crawling through roofs begin…

cablespool

I purchased wall plates with banana plugs for each speaker to allow easy changing of speakers if I desire and for a clean install.

faceplate

subcon

 

Here is the front of the room as it stands, front LR speakers are left over from an old stereo as is the current centre speaker.

The centre speaker I will replace but the front LR have proven to work quite well.

The sub’s are custom 12″ boxes made by a friend that are only there temporally as I haven’t quite figured out how I wish to incorporate the subwoofer(s) in a neat fashion. Perhaps a semi false wall on the bottom half or the likes.

speakershung

 

I still have to run the cables for the rear speakers (ran out of cable) and figure out the best looking way to build a nice subwoofer enclosure to try and keep the neat(ish) look of the system.

Pirate Chest Esky

For something completely different I thought I’d share a recent woodworking project, building a Pirate themed esky.

Recent got a lot of pine from a local business that was closing down.

Unfortunately I don’t have much in the way of pictures of the build of the basic box part but the timber was just docked to size glued and then nailed together.

DSC_0068

DSC_0067

Next came the lid which the slats were made from off cuts of another project that provided a almost perfect size to make a decent curve.

After gluing and nailing the top slats they were then cut to length with a jigsaw.

DSC_0065

DSC_0069

DSC_0070

After a quick sand to roughly merge the slats together some stain was applied. (The slats have been left looking somewhat rough as I feel it give more authentic feel of being a rough chest.

A set of hinges and a clasp and staple latch were added after a quick coat of black spray paint.

The corner pieces are the metal pieces used on timber stacks to stop the strapping cutting into the timber. After a coat of paint and drilling some holes I think they make for some nice additions.

corner protector

DSC_0074

DSC_0073

A storage tub was used as the esky part of the build with some chains added to stop the lid opening too far.

DSC_0077

 

There are a few more things I want to do on it including adding some insulation between the wood and the tub. As it stands the air gap seems to keep things cool pretty well however.

Also a central drain plug and fixing up the chains as they catch on occasion.