Bit of an update, I’ve done more work on the back end and data collection and have ordered parts to begin a outdoor sensor array to compliment the weather station.
First upgrade was to my NAS which runs unRAID which previously had VirtualBox running on top of it to run the Webserver and Windows 7 VM for the home automation. The new version of unRAID includes the KVM visualization solution.
After updating unRAID and converting the VirtualBox images over everything was back up and running all with a nice web interface:
This allows for much easier control of the VM’s as well as start/shutdown with the NAS.
Two new data sources have been added to the system the first being the data from my front door RFID system which unfortunately doesn’t have a direct interface with mysql (it uses access) so I found a program that pulls data from msaccess into mysql here which I configured to poll every hour and insert into mysql.
This has been added to the web interface which now shows the Doorbell as well as the RFID data:
Clicking into RFID gives the last 20 entries/exits allowing a quick view of who has been home over the last few days.
The second data source is CPU temperature from the Doorbell Raspberry Pi which was mostly out of curiosity but also to see how the Raspberry Pi was holding up to living outside.
I used a Python script to poll the data every 5 minutes and insert it into mysql, you can download the script here.
Below is a graph of the Pi temperature over a 24 hour period:
And the added page for the sensor:
Few changes to the internal web interface to show number of records for each sensor as well as min/max/avg of both temperature and humidity from each sensor:
Mostly minor changes but gives a bit more info on everything.
I’ve ordered parts to build a outdoor sensor array which will be based off an Arduino with Ethernet shield and the following sensors:
DHT22 – Temperature and humidity
MQ-9 – Carbon Monoxide and Combustible gas sensor
BMP180 – Barometric pressure
ML8511 – UV level sensor