TP-Link TL-MR3020 Portable OpenVPN Router Part 2

After almost a year on the shelf I finally got around to getting the final parts I needed to finish off the portable router/charger project.

 

First to arrive was the case from eBay which includes a basic case, charging circuit, small solar panel as well as a rather bright LED panel.  These can be had for roughly AUD$6 delivered making them a bargain case for this sort of project or any other that requires on the go 5V power really.

Next was to decide on which battery’s to use, knowing I only really had space to fit two cells after some research I went for a pair of LG-HG2 3000mAH  mostly after reading this in depth review and test.

As the case does not come with battery holders I turned to Thingiverse and found a design that was roughly the correct size and using Tinkercad adjusted it to fit the cells and (roughly) the case and printed it on my Anet A8.

 

  I then wired the cells, solar panel and LED panel to the charge board and did several charge/discharge cycles charging phones, etc to make sure all was well.

After I was satisfied that all was working well it was time to move the router into it’s new home which proved to be quite a bit more of a tight fit than my first measurements had suggested.

A switch was cut into one end to power the router while still maintaining the ability to use the device as a charger and light.

Some “butchery” had to be done in order to get the network jack to just fit in the height of the case.

An overall view showing the tight fit (and my awful soldering skills)

 

And some (mostly) final shots.

As you can see everything doesn’t quite fit in the case as well as I’d hoped. I indeed to do a second version however I will design and 3D print a case so that everything fits together neatly.

 

(Drift) Trike Part 1

I have been toying with the idea of making a motorised drift trike for sometime and after seeing Colinfurze’s build video I thought it was about time to get about making it a reality.

Spoke to a friend and we managed to get two 125cc Pit Pro’s and two Atomik quads in various states of disrepair for next to nothing.

Between the four bike we got a running Pit Pro which was later sold and two working motors (One from a Pit Pro and one from a quad)

After stripping off the motors and any other useful parts we took the 9″ grinder to the rear end of both quads and removed the rear axle assembly including axle, chain sprocket and rear disc brakes. Having a fully functional rear axle and drive train means a heap less fabrication for us.

The second part we needed to acquire was a front end for the trike which came in the form of a BMX bike which was donated to the cause and promptly met the 9″ grinder.

Some 2″ box tube we had lying around and we were ready to begin seeing how everything will (hopefully) fit together:

DSC_0277

DSC_0276

From the pictures you can get a rough idea of how it should come together.

After some cutting and welding we have ourselves a rolling frame. Both the BMX head and quad rear end directly welded to the 2″ box tube allowing enough room for motor and chain drive.

Drift trike rolling frame
Drift trike rolling frame

Once we were happy with this we set out to create some engine mounts on the 2″ box with slotting to allow chain  tension adjustment. After some fiddling to get everything to fit and tension up correctly this is what we ended up with:

Overall view without seat

Seatless overview side on

Engine overview close up

Carbie close up

Rear axle view

 

At this point rear brakes were bled, clutch cable, accelerator cable and kill switch were all run to the handle bars.

Left side bar has rear brakes and clutch ~90° offset.

Right side bar has start/stop switch, throttle and front brakes (WIP).

Handle bar overview
Handle bar overview

Left handle bar close up with clutch (silver) and rear brake (black) shown

 

A seat mount was welded up and bolted to the top of the motor then a plastic school seat fitted.

Trike with plastic seat back overview

 

A small fuel tank was fitted in the bar forks and then it was time to see how it ran…

 

During the test I had forgotten to turn the fuel tap on hence it cutting out half way up the road. The carbie has since had a clean out and an exhaust fitted which cleared up a lot of the farting and carrying on that can be seen in the video.

The chase car showed a top speed of around 70km/h during testing. I think it has a fair bit more in it but I’m not sure it needs to go any faster given the stability of trike’s in general….

 

As many of you will have noticed it’s currently not truly a “Drift” trike given the current tires/wheels on the trike which will be addressed in part two of this. Finding 14″ PVC for a cheap price has proven difficult so different hubs may have to be fitted to allow for smaller wheels allowing for easier procurement of PVC for drifting.

 

The other things that need finalising include:

  • Finishing mounting of exhaust system
  • Front brakes
  • Electric start (Kick start is in an awful spot under seat)
  • 12v battery mount for electric start
  • Changing of shifter location. (Currently lean over suicide shifter)
  • Finding 14″ PVC or changing of wheel hubs for smaller diameter
  • More permanent fuel tank mount
  • Maybe a coat of paint

 

Continued in part 2 here.